View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #11
oopsmyhalofello
Just Pawz
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
I don't have a website for you but giving a pup a vaccine while they still have maternal antibodies neuteralizes them both somehow.

Technically, after the immune system is fully developed, there are a few vets that give one or two rounds then and don't vaccinate before sixteen weeks at all. The thinking is that any MLV given after the immune system is developed will produce life-long immunity.

I know some vets give four sets of pup shots. That is way too many. Two is fine IF they are given at the right time and three is fine but could be overdoing it. If I had a pup, I would either do the DHPP at 10, 14 and 18 weeks or thereabouts OR I would break the vaccine up and do parvo at 10, 14 and 18 weeks, distemper at 11, 15 and 19 weeks and hepatitis at 12, 16 and 20 weeks OR I would start at 16 weeks and only do two rounds.
Thank you for replying, I now have something to base a search on and see what I can find. We are going to be getting a new puppy soon, June 4th to be exact and I want to make sure that I am following what ever I think is best with the vaccines.

I also wanted to comment on what someone said that their vet said about the breeders shots not being the same as what the vet has. I would tend to believe that is hogwash, unfortunately I find that a lot of vets are really out to grab you for the most $$$ they can, even if it means over medicating your animals.

oopsmyhalofello is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!