View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
mayers
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencar98 View Post
In our obedience class were told to train them to come using treats. Do this in a training session, placing her several feet away, call her and show her the treat. When she gets to you give her the treat and tell her "good girl". Repeat this several times in a training session. It might take her a few sessions to get it, but she will.

After she will consistently come, you can hold off on the treats. And, give them only occasionally when she comes to you in the future. This way she is never certain if she will get the treat or not, but she'll come just in case she is.

Also - always make coming to you a pleasant happy experience. If she hesitates to come, don't scold her. You don't want coming to you to be associated with anything negative.

Hope this helps.
I agree all good things should be a celebration, however she might be sound shy so keep it low. I, again, am against using treats to train dogs. Your pleasure should be enough. I have trained over ten dogs and have never used treats, except at night when they are taking it easy. In the show ring you might have to use treats. In real life when you want your dog to do something immediately, you might not have a treat. Treats might be ok initially but you should wean them off ASAP.
Melissa and Rambeau (I work for parties!!)
mayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!