View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Getting Joey neutered was the best thing in keeping him from running out the front door. Now I can open the door, and he doesn't even look tempted. Cesar recommends training with a leash on, and then opening the door and rewarding them for not going out. So glad your baby is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandysbabies View Post
I would love to know how you trained her to come back to you. When I call Kayla she just ignores me and keeps going. I am sooooo afraid of ours getting out until I'm nearly paranoid. I had to take Mandy to the vet Monday and the other two always want to go. Tina was so upset until she bit me on the finger. I was running late and had to go on and when I got to the vet had to have a band-aid. I think we have 3 spoiled little heatherns. So glad your baby wasn't hurt. I would have had a heart attack too.
Keep treats in your pocket and call out their name and say come, and reward with a treat. You many need to tempt them the first few times. Practice this several times a day, and do this every day. Never use their name as a way to say "no." For example, if they are barking don't just shout out their name. The sound of their name should always be positive to them. The "come" and "sit" commands are probably the most important, and can save their lives.

Join today and remove this ad!