View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
PrincessDiana
I ♥ Franklin & Maggie
Donating Member

Default Dominance between Franklin and Maggie

We just recently adopted Maggie, a 3 1/2 year old female yorkie. We have her in addition to Franklin, our 7 month old puppy. Here is our situation:

Maggie is very calm and reserved. She's way past her puppy stage. Most of the time, she wants to just sleep.

Franklin on the other hand, is hyper and rambunctious. All he wants to do is play so he spends his days harassing Maggie, which she does not enjoy very much.

I know part of it is that he's feeling insecure and jealous about the new addition to our family. I had my boyfriend take Franklin upstairs last night so I could have some alone time with Maggie. Usually Franklin LOVES to play with Andrew, but last night all he did was lay at the top of the stairs and cry. It broke my heart!!

Anyway - my solution has been to gate Maggie off in the kitchen, where her crate is. It's dark and comfortable in there, somewhere where she can find peace and quiet AWAY from Franklin. I am concerned, however, that she is feeling left out. It's not really fair to her to gate her off in the kitchen while the rest of us are in here with Franklin. I would put Franklin in the kitchen but I know he would do nothing but bark and bark and bark. I would just let him bark it out but we live in an apartment complex, as well as with a roommate who isn't very tolerant of Franklin.

I realize I am completely whipped by my babies and need someone to slap some sense into me. What should I do?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!