View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
LindaV
Yorkie Talker

My vet wanted to wait until Remy was as close to 3 pounds as possible without her going into her first heat. Problem was - I have an intact Brittany male 6 months older than Remy. She was approximately 2.5 pounds at almost 8 months old and Max (the Brittany) started sniffing her - a lot He'd draw back his lips, pant and have a glazed-over look in his eye... scary - if he had attempted to mount her he could have hurt her - or worse.

I called the vet and he examined her right away. He determined that she was probably getting very close to estrus, and based on Max's growing interest we agreed the best thing to do was go ahead with the surgery.

He did a thorough pre-op work up on her - (EKG, complete blood chemistry...), he explained the anesthesia protocol he uses (anesthesia tech, intubation on tiny animals, heart and lung monitors, etc.) and how long he considers it safe for them to be "under".

During the spay procedure he also removed 2 teeth (double canines on the bottom). She was absolutely fine

I was nervous, very anxious and in tears! I think I was more upset than she was, seriously... She was amazing. She had a very small incision, and never touched/licked/pulled at the sutures. Keeping her quiet and low-key was the hardest part of the entire ordeal! Of course she learned very fast how to milk us all for sympathy and attention , coming to us and rolling belly-up - they can be so cute, lol...

I've been taking my animals to this Vet for 8 years, and I know and trust him. Having a Vet that takes the time to answer your questions, address all your concerns and who explains everything makes it just a little easier. He's very empathetic and did his best to assure me. I was never as nervous or worried about any of my other dogs/cats being spayed as I was about Remy.

Ask lots of questions. Good Luck! I'm sure she will be fine

Linda
LindaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!