View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
katelin
YT 1000 Club Member

Good News, that poor little guy has a permanent home.

There are lots of things to try to get him to eat better. I recommend kibble, but use wet food when I have to. I've even seen the Little Cesar canned food recommended by someone whose dog wouldn't eat at first (she called it the fast food of dog food, LOL). He is small so the size of the kibble could be too much for him right now. Try the puppy or baby dog sized kibble. We use Royal Canin, but there are others that you will see recommended too. I sometimes pour a little chicken broth over the kibble to make it more interesting or mix in a couple tablespoons of cottage cheese or even a little wet food (canned). Try to get him back to kibble because it is soo much better for his teeth in the long run.

There is also a recipe for "magic broth" from one of our members, and I know she wouldn't mind me putting it up here. Pouring this over his food may encourage him to eat.

MAGIC BROTH

"I grabbed a bag of boneless, skinless chicken tenders from the freezer and thawed them in cold water. I drained them well on paper towels and sprinkled the top side with dehydrated, crushed parsley [no time for fresh!]. I sprinkled maybe 1/8 t. garlic powder ... figured it would entice her and that's not enough to harm. I browned them quickly in just a couple tablespoons of hot virgin olive oil. I then added about 6 bottles of ice cold bottled water and brought it to a boil. Turned it on low and simmered for about an hour and then strained it through a fine strainer. After I cooled some and offered it to Toto she drank it like a demon! I let the vet know and he had me give her about 2 T every hour until she was feeling better!! So, we named it the Magic Broth and I am seldom without it in the freezer. I use it in our food too. It has very little, if any, fat in it and tastes really good!!"

Good luck. There is lots of information here. Just do a search or ask!!

Last edited by katelin; 05-10-2008 at 08:13 AM.
katelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!