View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 04:00 AM   #5
ladyj
No Longer a Member

I don't think fostering is required before you can adopt a rescue dog. I adopted a puppy mill Chihuahua and I have never fostered any dog. Most people aren't situated to take just any rescue dog. I have size requirements because of where I live and other restraints. I wanted a female. There are plenty of rescues out there needing homes and you can get the sex, age, size, etc. that fits your life style. I wish I were situated to take any and all rescues, but that just isn't the case with me and isn't with most people. I agree that placing a rescue dog should be carefully done, but some of the carved in stone requirements could be eased in some cases and the dog would have a great home. Absolutely requiring a fenced yard for a little four-pound dog is kind of ridiculous. I'm not allowed to fence the yard where I live and I can't have a dog over 20 pounds. I can guarantee that any dog living at my house will have the best life I can provide, with proper health and dental care, great food, tons of love and affection, proper exercise, toys, blankets, play time, the works! I tried to adopt a little three-pound Maltese before I found my rescue Chihuahua, but they required a fenced yard, absolutely, end of story. That little dog missed a really great home because of their carved in stone requirement. I'm retired and home all day with plenty of time for walks and play time. I wonder if that little dog went to someone with a fenced yard that works all day. Being home all day was not a requirement. Seems to me that being at home and having the time to walk the dog would be better than being gone all day and having a fenced yard. Just my humble opinion.
ladyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!