View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 02:16 AM   #13
Ladyhawk
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldo View Post
All 5 arrived by midnight .Kira was restless and digging for only about 20 min. and then they all started popping out 10-15 minutes apart. Kira knew exactly what to do (amazing isn't it) but tired near the end and laid down so I had to break the sack and cut the cord on two of the puppies. Kira had 4 boys (3 are 4oz and 1 is only 2oz) and 1 girl (3 oz).

My questions are:
1. I only saw 4 placentas, is there always 1 placenta for each puppy?
2. The two tinier puppies are having a harder time finding a spot to nurse -- don't think they are feeding as often as the other puppies -- do I supplement -- how much and how?
3. I'm still curious about the temperature of my heating pad (low or med) -- I have at on low right now.
4. Kira won't stop licking her puppies -- is this normal -- she's always been neurotic about licking her toys, etc. (will this hurt the puppies).

Wow! Still can't believe how those five puppies fit in her little belly - but they are so little also -- what an incredible experience -- I am so fortunate that things went well -- now I just have to really watch those 2 tiny ones.
Congrats on your new angels! Sounds like you and mom did a great job. Now it's your turn to take care of mom so she can take care of her pups.
1. There should be a placenta for each pup. She may have eaten one before you saw it or it may still be retained. Mom can push it out hours later so keep an eye on her. If she doesn't deliver it than you may want to take her to the vets to get a PIT shot. Meanwhile watch her temp for infection.
2. Make sure that you get the smaller pups on the teat. The colestrum is very important for them and they may not have the strength yet to battle their bigger siblings for position. Do not suppliment at this point, work on getting them to nurse.
3. Mom will stay very close to pups for a while so if you use the heating pad at all keep it on low with a towel over it. Watch mom to make sure that she isn't getting too overheated. Keep the heating pad on only half of the whelping box so that mom can get away from the extra heat if she needs to.
4. Yes it's normal for her to lick, sometimes it even seems rough. It stimulates and warms the pups and helps her to bond to them and them to her. If you feel like she's getting too rough with a pup distract her by patting her and talking to her while you move the pup to an other position.
That's a good sized litter with some tiny babies, keep a close eye on them and enjoy.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!