View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyandTiffy View Post

Barbara can I ask U what are the signs of LP when they walk or run??? None of mine have LP but I'm just wondering what the signs are. I have a few runners in my pack such as Sage and Galahad...Should I watch them with their running when they all go out to play in the back yard & our Sage is a heck of a jumper. Just wondering can they hurt their knees by playing like this and cause LP??? U know me ask questions all the time Lee
One of the early signs of LP is a little skip or 'hitch' in the rear movement. The dog may take off running and suddenly do a little skip because the patella slips out and then goes back in. In more severe cases the dog will not put much weight on their leg or if both knees are bad they will just walk funny, kind of bow legged. The best thing is to have a vet check and evaluate your dog. If a dog has mild LP it might not be noticeable unless you manipulate the knee. A dog can have mild LP as a young dog but it can get worse with age by running and jumping. Just like us humans can get bad knees from injuries or from being over weight, the same thing can happen to your dog. I have had a bad knee since I was 17 years old due to me twisting my knee getting in the back seat of a car on the night of the senior prom. What a bummer. I was on crutches for 3 weeks after that. I re-injured my knee a couple years later so I have to be very careful or it will slip out of joint. I can relate to how these little dogs feel.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!