View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
LoveMyJake
I love Jackson too!
Donating Member

When we brought our second yorkie (Jackson) home, we had a slight issue of Jackson wanting to be "alpha" to my then one-year-old yorkie, Jake. I stepped in to show that it was ME that is the alpha. When he would show aggressive behavior toward Jake, I would immediately say "NO" firmly and just touch him as I said it. I taught him "sit" and "stay".....these two basic commands are essential to your dog learning that you are the alpha, in my opinion. He learned these two commands in a snap, so when I would tell him "NO" and touch him lightly, I would then tell him to "sit".....then, I would praise him and give him a treat. I also read that it is important that you eat first, then feed your dog second. Again, "sit" and "stay" are very effective here. Some people say to kinda stir your dog's food with your finger so that your scent is on the food, which helps makes them realize you are alpha. When you feed your dog, don't let him jump up or run around. Have him sit and stay, then put the food down and give him praise and tell him to eat.

Lots of praise and rewards when they do something good is important. Believe me, I KNOW how easy it is to spoil these little ones! I have two spoiled boys! But, I feel like I have the best of both worlds. They both are well behaved and listen really well. I can take them places and not have to worry. And, they are also my spoiled babies. You can have both, you just have to learn how to balance it and make them see your affection as a reward to their good behavior. They love to please their owners. The key is consistency, as they learn by repetition.

I have had so much fun training mine! I hope you have just as much fun!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!