Thread: CalSorb
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
JaLaYorkieGirl
YT 1000 Club Member

Eclampsia can happen prior to whelping, this is why we have to watch them and be home as much as possible. Calsorb was actually developed to treat hypocalcemia, so you could have given her some at home before you headed to the vets office.

One of my gals was very sick with gastroenteritis on her 56th day, she was not eating because she did not feel well and because she had growing and developing babies in her she was experiencing low calcium, she was never symptomatic but we caught it on her bloodwork. I ran home grabbed my calsorb...we gave her 1 ml every 10 minutes until she had 3 ml's. She vomited about 1 min after the third dose and so my vet thought we should give her an injection since she threw it up. I asked them to check her calcium again first because I thought it worked quickly and I did not think she would need the IV injection. I am so thrilled they checked it because is was 0.2 above normal range...so whew.

It is nice because it is safer than IV calcium, the risk is so low.

We have experienced eclampsia in the past with a female and were able to give her calsorb once daily until she weaned without any relapse. We then gave it to her from whelping to weaning with subsequent litters and she had no more issues with it.

We love calsorb for whelping too. Our vet now loves it and keeps it in stock, she is a doll and sells it to us for $4 a tube at her cost, and we do not have to pay shipping!!! YAY...she is very good to us!

Last edited by JaLaYorkieGirl; 04-30-2008 at 04:05 PM.
JaLaYorkieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!