View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
my3kiddos
Yorkie Talker

Default Yorkie aggression

Hi Everyone! I need some advice. My yorkie, Hercules, is 1 1/2 yrs old and is so sweet to all of us in our family. He would never hurt us, and smothers each of our faces with kisses on a daily basis. He bed hops at night to spread his love. When we got him last winter, I made sure to get him socialized with our neighbor kids since they would be around him often. I took him to kids outdoor practices, games, etc. He was always friendly to everyone, but definitely timid if anyone tried to pick him up.

This winter he seems to have lost some of his socialization skills. He now is showing signs of aggression (barking,growling, nipping) at people who come into our home. He does this when they initially enter, and he does it again when the door opens for them to leave. I don't want him to hurt someone. Now I hold him tightly when people come and go, and let him sniff their arm. He usually calms down after he has sniffed them. But when they go to leave, I have to have him in my arms again.

He also barks profusely when he sees people outside.

None of this behavior is exhibited if we are not at home. I take him for cars rides to pick kids up, and he never barks at anyone who walks by our car. I've started taking him to kids activities again, and he lets people pet him, and doesn't make a sound.

Is this just protecting his territory? How do I get him to ease up so no one is ever bitten? We also don't do aggressive play with him, so I'm not sure why this is happening now. He was neutered at 6 mo.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
my3kiddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!