Thread: recipes?
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Franceen
YT 500 Club Member

Hi there

I have been consulting an animal nutritionist as my dog has colitis. She told me to give her the following meals:

3ozs minced or finely chopped venison or rabbit or turkey (or fish I cannot give my little one fish as she is allergic to fish, but you can)

Half a cup of squash (any kind of squash)

Half a cup of green beans chopped up finely

Half a cup of potato or rice

Brown the meat and cook the veg. Mix it all together with:

1teaspoon of flaxseed oil (or codliver oil is better if your dog is not allergic to it)
a measure of a good vitamin supplement for dogs
a measure of a good calcium supplement for dogs

I think it was Yorkiedaze who gave me an excellent vitamin supplement mixture but my little madam refuses to touch her food if it is on it. I just wish she would eat it, as I think it is a very good mixture. I am sure Yorkiedaze will answer your post and give you her recipes, as will others. I thought would give you mine as my dog is so sensitive but is doing very well on this diet.
She is full of energy and has a lovely glossy coat.

You can also try carrot instead of squash, but in my dog's case she felt that squash was the best. She said that some dogs can be sensitive to carrot. She told me that beef is too rich for Yorkies and that chicken often causes allergies and so she never recommends it. All wild birds eg pheasant, pidgeon etc can be given to our Yorkies. She feels that venison is the best, closely followed by rabbit then turkey.

The above 'recipe' is for a 10lb dog and if your dog is smaller then reduce the quantities. She told me to weigh my dog weekly and if she puts on weight to reduce the potato or rice. If she loses weight then increase the starch. She said to feed her three times a day, so I divide the food into three portions and freeze it in a big batch. I defrost the next day's food overnight.

Hope I have been of some help.

Luv

Franceen
Franceen is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!