View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Default Eye Problem - Corneal Ulcer

This afternoon Joey wasn't acting himself, he usually lies beside me while I'm on the computer or in my lap, but he went to another room. His daddy was home today, so I thought maybe he just wanted to be with him, but when I checked I found him alone on our bed. I noticed his eye was squinting, and when I opened it further it looked red. I called the animal hospital, since today is Saturday, to see what they would recommend; and they suggested that I bring him over immediately. It really didn't look that bad, and he wasn't squinting all of the time, just once in a while. I took him to the hospital and thought it was just allergies because my eyes have been driving me nuts lately. I was stunned to find out that he had scratched his cornea and has what is called a corneal ulcer. You can't see it with the naked eye, and the doctor has to put a stain on the eye in order to detect it.

The doctor doesn't know what caused it; apparently any trauma including scratches from plants or carpet, and even rubbing his own eye can cause this. I'm posting this so that others will realize that even a little squinting is in indication of a serious eye problem that if not treated promptly can lead to infection. Treatment includes a cream and a cone to prevent further irritation. Apparently, it can take a month to clear up with weekly vet check-ups. Has anyone else had this problem?

Join today and remove this ad!