View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
yorkiegold
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstemason
I just received the papers for registration on my baby Harley with AKC. What is the purpose of Limited Registration? Why could you not breed a dog? What does that mean? Is there something wrong? I have a friend who has a CKC registered Yorkie that is a female and we had talked about breeding them once before they were neutered so we both could have a second furbaby. Does this mean I would not be able to. It's not really an issue with me but my last yorkie did not have a limited registration but that was 17 years ago.

thanks for any explantions.

harley's mom
AKC now gives breeders the option of a full registration (if you breed puppies can get papers, you can show, etc.) or a limited registration (no papers for puppies if bred and no shows) when they place puppies.

We give limited registration for puppies we either do not want bred at all or want to see as adults before we agree to full registration. Your breeder should have explained why s/he was giving you a limited registration. If you asked to buy a pet and paid a pet price, it may have been assumed you aren't interested in breeding and that may be why. Limited registration usually equals lower purchase price.

At any rate, of course you may breed your dog, but the puppies may not be eligible for AKC registration. If CKC means Continental Kennel Club, if you breed the AKC would not recognize those papers. If it means Canadian Kennel Club, you can get AKC papers on the puppies, but I think there are some extra steps. AKC recognizes Canadian Kennel Club registrations but not Continental Kennel Club.

I'm getting myself confused now - hope this makes at least a bit of sense.

CJ

PS Congrats on your new boy!
yorkiegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!