View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
YorkieLovin
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Exclamation Possible pet food contamination

I was searching around for info on food analysis and stumbled upon this article. The FDA alert was originally from Jan 2008 and was recently updated. I know its a few months old but I didn't see this posted anywhere on here yet. I don't know what the turn around time is for pet food manufacturing...but if the ingredient was received in January I would bet that the bags containing it will be on the shelves by the end of summer if not already.

I'm not taking any chances and waiting for them to announce another recall!
Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Important! - More melamine tainted glutens imported from China
I could not find the names of the pet food companies that purchased the new tainted melamine glutens – but I have found the FDA documents confirming that melamine tainted glutens have entered the U.S. from China again and a FDA alert…”Detention without physical examination of all vegetable protein products from China for animal or human food use due to the presence of melamine and/or melamine analogs”.

Here is the link for the FDA alert:
IMPORT ALERT IA9929

I have to tell you – now that I have run across this FDA alert (found it this morning – it is dated 1/7/08) – now it makes sense of all the new reports I’ve heard of and read about pets getting sick. I continue to feel very strongly that any pet owner who is feeding their pet a food or treat with any ingredient that comes from China is taking a huge risk. And I also feel that any pet owner that is feeding their pet a food or treat with a gluten ingredient (corn gluten, rice gluten, and so forth) or a vegetable protein (soy protein, rice protein) is taking a huge risk. These ingredients are typically imported from China – red flag, red flag, big red flag!

Please look at your pet’s food and treat labels. Read the brief FDA alert (link above) and if you see any ingredient listed in the alert in the food or treats you are currently giving your pet listed – stop feeding that food. I would typically tell you to switch to a new food slowly – however, considering the number of sick pets being reported and the FDA alert – I would recommend stop feeding that food or treat immediately.

Per the FDA alert – here are the products listed:
Wheat Gluten
Rice Gluten
Rice Protein
Rice Protein Concentrate
Corn Gluten
Corn Gluten Meal
Corn By-Products
Soy Protein
Soy Gluten
Soy Meal
Mung Bean Protein

The strange thing is if you go to the FDA site and search for the alert it only appears when you type in the alert number! It doesn't come up when you look under alerts or search Melamine, China, Import, etc...I thought that was odd!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!