View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
JCarlson2004
Mommy To 3 Poochies
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn218 View Post
I haven't heard of the PRK...what is the difference in price...I imagine it is more costly than Lasik, right? What is the recover time, compared to Lasik?
I am still wanting to have that done.......

Good luck...I can't wait to hear how it goes!
PRK is more money. Lasik seems to range from $2,000 - $3,000 and PRK is about $5,000 (could be more depending on how bad your vision is). The worse your vision is, the more money Lasik, Lasek, PRK, etc. is. I am a candidate for Lasik but I choose not to have it because of the flap related issues that can arise. So that's why I'm having PRK.

The main difference between PRK and Lasik is this:

Lasik - Doctors cut a flap in the cornea (which is a clear protective covering on your eye ball) and zap it with the laser to reshape the cornea.

PRK - There is NO flap created. No blade. No cutting. As a result, there is no nerve damage done to the eye.

Just to give you an example, one of the issues associated with flap related nerve damage is dry eye. The nerves in your eyes send a signal to tell yourself when to produce tears to keep your eyes moist. Well, sometimes when the flap is created, the nerves are damaged and that message can be disrupted, resulting in mild to sometimes even severe dry eye. I've also heard that the flap never really heals and seals back onto the eye properly. I don't know how true that is but it's something I heard a few times and it was enough to make me opt against traditional Lasik.

PS - Having said all this, there are MANY people who did have traditional Lasik and have fabulous results. I myself just don't want to risk it.

Last edited by JCarlson2004; 04-25-2008 at 09:53 AM.
JCarlson2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!