View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 04:17 AM   #4
MissLizzie
Senior Yorkie Talker

Crating didn't work for me. Itsy kept pooing and peeing on her bed or so close to it she would walk through it and get it everywhere, so I decided to nix that idea. She is 13 weeks now and is doing great. I am to the point where I can leave her alone in the living room with a baby gate up and trust her to go to her pee pad on her own (she doesn't have whole house privileges yet though!).

A few things that have definitely helped...first of all treats. Praise is great but treats are better. When I was in the living room with her when she was training I was (literally) never letting her out of my sight and putting her on her pad every 5 or 10 mins and telling her "potty" and the moment she's in the act saying "good girl! good potty!" and would immediately reward her with a treat afterwards, and always make sure to walk her back to the pad and give her the treat while she's ON the pad. It did not take her long at all to figure out she was getting treats for pottying there and soon she was going there on her own and watching me as she went to make sure I was watching her so I knew she was doing good so she could get her treat!
Also I bought her an X pen which has also helped a lot. Before, I had her in the kitchen with the gate up while I was gone which gave her way too much space so she was only going on the pads once in a while and having a lot of accidents all over the floor. Now that she has her pen she only goes on her pads in there, and still has room for her bowls and bed and some space to play. Not to mention it saved my sanity, not having to constantly worry about stepping in dog pee when I walk in the kitchen!
MissLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!