View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Marc
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnjarosz View Post
So I got my puppy yesterday and I understand potty triainging takes a lot of time, but I want to make sure I am doing this right.... See when I am done feeding him, after 15-ish minutes I take him outsied and he will not go to the bathroom and then 5 minutes later he'll go on the floor, he will not go out side and even when i take him out for about 10 minutes come inside for abotu 10 minutes and back out again he will go after he comes inside not to long after..... How do I get him to go to the bathroom outside?
Hi there. Welcome. I just got my Yorkie 3 weeks ago. We are also training for outdoors only. We have no pee pads in the house. Are you crate training?

Heres what I am doing. She is in her crate at night, when I'm not home, or when no one is watching her. When she is not in her crate someone is keeping a hawks' eye on her. If we catch her starting to go...scoop her up and say "no"...and take her straight outside...at which point you change your tone of voice to positive and praiseful.

If she has an accident and you didn't see it....don't scold her for it....she has long forgotten by the time you see the mess.

My pup doesn't go to the bathroom 5 or 10 minutes after eating. It seems more like 25-30 minutes. When we go out for pee/poop time....I stand there till she does it whether she likes it or not. Today that happened to be in pouring rain. *sighs* I praise and treat her if she does it and let her straight inside. If we have just been out there so long that I get the feeling she really doesn't have to go....I take her in and have her on her leash with me till I take her out for another try. Or I'll put her in her crate and take her out after 15 minutes for another try.

My pup has never had a crate accident and we are on day 5 with no house accidents....so I hope she catches on and starts going to the door on her own to let me know it's time. I hear it can take a good solid year to get them trained though.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!