View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
For My Coby
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Oh Tia, you're being a pistol!

Many dogs are different and most "parents' are different. So sometimes, you have to keep trying to get the perfect combination. Here are the things that worked for us.

We used a small carrier type crate - just big enough to stand up and turn around. It's just my opinion, but I think your bathroom is too big while potty training. Coby LOVES his crate, but then he gets a treat each and every time he goes in on command. So he equates his crate with good things. He naps in there on his own throughout the day.

When they were out of the crate, I watched them like a hawk. I even used the leash in the house just to make sure that I didn't get distracted and not notice them. I had trouble learning the potty signs. So I spent more time walking them back to the potty pad or to the door every 30 to 45 minutes.

When the puppies were little, they were only out if I could pay 100% attention to them. If not, they were in the crate (with a treat, so they didn't mind - and if they did cry, covering the crate like a birdcage always calmed them down).

Reggie (11 yrs) has free run of the house all the time. But Coby (1 yr) is still gaining freedom and is crated each time we leave. If we put on our shoes or coat, we don't have to say a word. If I don't get the dog purse down, he runs in the kennel to be locked up (and of course a treat!). He doesn't mind at all.

Also, for the puppies, I'd suggest being patient and dilligent when you KNOW they have to go (like in the mornings). They have to stay on the pad or outside until they go. If they don't go, mine have to go back to the kennel, then we try again. The time it takes can sometimes by maddening. I had to call in some mornings to work saying "Sorry, I'll be late. Coby won't poop."

Also, when Tia does go, be sure to 1) use the "Go Potty" command while she's going. Soon, you'll be able to say "Go Potty" and she will know what you want - great when you're in a hurry! 2) give GREAT treats, and 3) act like they just won the lottery!!

Good Luck!!
For My Coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!