View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

I would give distemper, hepatitis (adenovirus), parvo and maybe parainfluenze as puppy shots, then one year later and then no more than every three years (as long as titers are high if you choose to do them). If you find a really understanding vet, they may let you do titers only and not vaccinate until necessary while other vets don't put too much faith in them...

Rabies you will have to go with the law.

Those are the ones I'd give.

Lepto and lyme's disease are RARELY necessary and I think it should be a long and drawn out decision whether to give them or not because of their effectiveness (or lack there of) and the reaction rate of the lepto.

Lepto vaccine has caused death in Yorkies (especially puppies) but is occasionally necessary.
Lyme's vaccine may be linked to kidney failure which would be a huge concern for me.

Bordatella may be necessary for you but I do not give it and would only give it if the vet insisted on it to hospitalize Ellie.

Corona, in my opinion, should never be given.
I wouldn't give giardia either.'
If you're not giving the DHPP combo, I might also avoid the parainfluenze because it isn't a core vaccine but that is my opinion only.

It is best to do shots separately and not in a combo because that can stress the immune system and negate immunity.

ALWAYS give the rabies shot separately (about a week or two before or after other vaccines).

I think giving one vaccine/virus every week or two is best.

I like Interceptor for heartworms best.
I don't use flea/tick preventative but if I did it would probably be Frontline (as a last resort).

Last edited by Ellie May; 04-21-2008 at 05:33 AM.
Ellie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!