View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Marc
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinmay View Post
We just came home on Friday afternoon with our new puppy and the more confident she gets with us the more she bites - those puppy teeth are really painful! I want to nip this in the bud - no pun intended - so it doesn't become a bigger problem later.

I say NO firmly but it doesn't mean anything to her...I need to be trained!

Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Hi there. I am NO expert but I just got a Yorkie a couple a weeks ago and this is what I am doing. (got this idea on Youtube).....

If she nips/bites you....YELP LOUDLY or say "Ouch" really fast and loud. Act hurt. Then either stay put or walk away. She will stop and look at you.

The reason this makes sense to me is because when two dogs or cats are play fighting and one bites the other just a little too hard....the dog will yelp loud and the game is done. That dog will either start playing again and the game becomes more "gentle" or the hurt dog will walk away indicating that his "friend" went too far for his liking and the "game" is done. So by you yelping or screaming "ouch" you stop the dog with a little verbal "shock" and he/she will catch on that you will not play if he/she continues to be so rough.

We are just starting this here as well. For some reason my son has an affect on animals that is very strong. They LOVE him and will seek him out to snuggle and to play for loads of fun. Our yorkie saught him out from day one and loves to take the play fighting too far. I have just instructed all family members to yelp or say "ouch" if our pup nips at them.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!