View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
topknot
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Don't get discouraged. Get a handler if you cannot attend the shows, but I am letting you know - you will learn soooo much more by going to the shows. It is worth going, even if you have to travel a bit. I am in the country - way out and I still go. I have my aliments, and responsibilities, and I work too. So you just make the time.
Also study your pedigrees, so you will know what produces what.
Maybe and I am sure that LadyHawk will give you plenty of tips and suggestions.
If I think I may have one panning out to be a show baby - I hold on to it for awhile to see. Like this litter I have now - I am holding on to them for a long time. I won't know anything till they are about 5 months and that is still just hope. A year or 1.5 year - is a better age for knowing if your baby will cut it and get some points. I also bring them to shows when they are about 6 months and through out growing to get the practice in the ring and here the sounds and know the sights - then when they are ready to get the points they are more confident in the ring. It does take a lot of work and conditioning to get them ready. This way too - judges are going over your dog and evaluating it. You are also able to evaluate your dog better too at a show because you have the other dogs there to size up your dog and do a better comparison. So much better than just sitting at home and quessing. And so much comes into play with having a show dog. With yorkies it is a lot.
T.
topknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!