View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #12
schatzie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLuvsFrankie
Thanks for checking on Frankie. The first night was real scary then he was fine all day. About 1:00 in the am he did it again but not so bad. I took him in. The Doc did a thorough exam. I requested x-rays cuz when the doc shifted his rear leg he freaked. Turns out he has Leggs - Calve - Perthes disease. Ever heard of it? I haven't. It's in the hip area. They mentioned they could do surgery but he doesn't seem to be bothered by it at this moment. He still chokes a little during the day but it is getting calmer. He's on antibiotics now.
Schatzie had Legges Perthes and had surgery. It has helped her tremendously and the surgery was a success. She uses her leg 99.99% of the time that is damaged, it at times still dangles.

After surgery the muscle/tissue need to heal and grow again over the top of the femoral head bone.

Schatzie carried her leg around and never used it prior to surgery, I also could tell she was in pain.

What happens is the femoral head becomes jagged and painful to the dogs. This is not a disease that goes away without surgery.

Last edited by schatzie; 08-18-2005 at 12:04 PM.
schatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!