Thread: newbie
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
For My Coby
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MansfieldsMom View Post
what did you use to confine him ?
We do crate training and one room training early on. What we did for Coby - our last trainee:

We fenced off our kitchen (non carpet). He lived in the kitchen only for the first several weeks. And we were in there with him all the time that he was running free (out of the crate). First thing in the morning, he would get out of his crate, and I would use a leash or another xpen to keep him on his potty pad until he pottied. Then treats and acting silly. Then he got to play in the kitchen. We watched him like a hawk for signs of pre-potty.

When he started going to the paper by himself to potty (oh he knew we were happy about that; he knew he was getting a treat), we started taking him into the living room. On leash at first (because I am easily distracted). We would about every 30 minutes walk him back to his pad in the kitchen. If he went, more treats and partying. If we couldn't watch him like a hawk in the living room, he had to stay in the kitchen.

.... and etcetera as his area continues to grow. Now, both of our dogs come and tell us when they've pottied in order to get their treats. See how well WE are trained?

We use(d) a small crate (only big enough to lay and turn around in) and x-pen fencing spread out to go across our big doorway between the kitchen and living room. I like the wire x-pens because they are more see-through than some of the plastic onces. Now we're using the simple wooden baby gates at both of our stairways. I can't wait for the time when we can walk through our house not stepping over or moving anything!!
For My Coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!