View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
SovietSpartan
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHONDALEESINGS View Post
My new puppy and I have both been itchy and scratching for a couple of weeks and now I am petrified it might be something like scabies!!!

I have what appears to be little bites all over the place- legs, arms, chest... driving me crazy... so I know exactly what my little Sydney feels like!

I know this an older thread but if you could please give me some info on what the symptoms were, looked like, etc. this may be the answer to my ongoing issue

Thanks so much!

Rhonda

Sydney's Mama
NashVegas, TN
Small bites usually in groups, red spots but not like pimples. The more I scratched them the worst I felt. My dog was constantly biting her feet and got to the point where with medication her incessant scratching made most of her hair fall out. If you think she has scabbies take her immediately for a skin test. If your vet is cool and she has the scabbies you will see how ugly these things are under microscope. You should immediately wash all your clothes with soap and very hot water and also any towels or bedding if you notice more bites on your person. Its really important to wash yourself throughly with soap as that seems to help kill mites on your body, if you have to leave the soap suds for a while to kill them.

The really gross thing is that they live inside you for a few weeks then hatch, reinfecting you. The treatment for my dog lasted about 1 1/2 months. Shes good now and we haven't had much scratching from her. Check her skin too, if its really red its a really bad infection. You should keep the dog off carpet and the like becuase mites can live there, and the colder it is the longer these things can survive. Vacuum all areas the dog has been constantly and clean out the bag or if you got a bagless every time you vacuum otherwise the mites come out and back into the carpet. If shes got a blanket it might be a good idea to get a new one and to wash it as much as possible with just hot water. Some dogs are allergic to detergents. Our downstairs isnt carpet so we temporary isolated her downstairs, which helped alot.

The first thing you wanna do is wash your bed though. I made the mistake of letting the dog sleep there before I knew she had scabbies and all my exposed skin was bitten. Don't wash the dog too much though becuase it dries out thier skin which makes the problem worst. Your vet will probably give her a medicated bath and a shot to begin the treatment if she really has scabbies.

I hope this helped! I hope your puppy doesn't have scabbies, it really sucks for everyone involved!

If you purchased the dog from a pet store or breeder, and don't have any other dogs in your home, contact them if you find out the dog has scabbies. It may be a problem there that they don't know about. I also sought restitution for the doctor visits and treatments and got them from the pet store I purchased from.

Last edited by SovietSpartan; 04-13-2008 at 05:55 PM.
SovietSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!