View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
PrestigeousYT
YT 1000 Club Member

This was a question asked on another thread that has some things that you may find helpful. I have been grooming and too tired to type too much tonight LOL

I would appreciate input from some of you experienced show breeders on how to best raise your show prospects.

At what age do you start letting them associate with your older dogs.
I make this judgement as individual pups, some pups are ready to spend some time with the older dogs sooner than others so I watch the pups attitudes and condifidence and when I feel they are ready I let them hang out with the older ones only when I am sitting in the floor with them.
Say if you have a litter of say 5 puppies, after they are weaned, do you let all of them stay together in one group or do you split them up when they get a little older. At what age would you split them up?
I kept a litter this past year Toy, Kisses and Keeper who are 7 months old now. They still are in one room together. And I do crate them up at night time in a 3X3.

It seems that if they establish a pecking order then maybe the one that looks the best conformation wise might end up being more intimidated and shy if they have bigger litter mates picking on them. If you notice a real problem with one being picked on more and see that their behavior is changing then I think you should move it with another group. A lot of it is knowing your dogs, watching their behavior and making the decision what to change if you feel you need to seperate them. I do not like to keep show dogs in isolation. I heavy oil mine and some I wrap. Some will pull the others wraps out so you have to be sure you put the right ones together to keep from getting wraps pulled out. Again a lot of it is knowing your dogs and watching very carefully what is going on with your dogs.

I know that attitude is important in a show dog. Is attitude something that has to come natural or can it be taught?
I agree 100% with Laurie attitude is something they are born with. I love a dog with too much attitude, you can usually tame down that spunk enough to have it shine at the ring time in the ring. Sometimes its a job to get them to calm down but to take a dog with little or no attitude/spunk to me is not going to work. Because that is a drag to work with.

I know some show breeders keep each show dog in a separate exercise pen or crate but to me it seems sad to do that. [COLOR="darkorange"]My dogs are my pets first and foremost they do not live in solitary confinement. I don't like that, in my opinion you can raise a show dog with others again you just have to know which ones they can hang out with that won't tear up their coats etc
I have also been told that when Yorkies are puppies you should just let them be puppies.
Absolutely let them have fun and be a playful happy puppy.

At what age do you recommend starting leash training?
Start putting a light leash around their neck when they are 10 weeks old and let them drag it around the room You can order some that are like a very thin shoe string, only when you are sitting in the floor watching them and only them. They can get hurt if you do not watch them.

I have heard several handlers say that we should not spoil our show dogs and we should treat them like dogs and not like children. Any input would be greatly appreciatedLOL I remember Squeakers second show, he was 10 months old and the judge that gave him BOB told me Let him be a dog, don't spoil him like he is a child, he is a terrier and you shouldn't baby him. LOL well he has to be the most spoiled dog and he had no problem becoming a CH. again my dogs are my pets first and foremost. If I had to choose spoiling them and loving the heck out of them over being a show dog champion, I would choose spoiling them.

Deana
Prestigeous
PrestigeousYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!