View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 06:46 AM   #9
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CricketBaby View Post
First let me say thank you for your help! Paxton is 5 1/2 months....he weighs 4.2lbs. He is currently on Albon and has been since Friday....he does not have diarreah but his poops are really soft and squishy....not getting firm at all! I have had three fecal floats done/ and Giardia snap test....The only thing that has been confirmed is a high level of bad bacteria....I am soooo mad because I have not been given a name for this bacteria! The vet seems to think this is from stress? Granted Paxton was 4 1/2 months old and put on a plane and sent to a family with four children and 2 other dogs....I would be stressed too! But I do think he should be over the initial stress and be settling down to our routine. I would love to find out more about probiotics, maybe digestive enzymes? I will calling the vet in the morning to discuss Paxton's soft poops and gastric noises!
I don't understand this "bad bacteria" thing - your vet needs to name this bacteria , how odd, huh? If it were me, I'd wait to proceed until I had that answer. It's not uncommon to have soft poos on Albon, strangely. And, given your other dogs got diarrhea - it tells me that whatever Paxton had - it was contagious - therefore, not really stress related (entirely, that is). Did they test for coccidia?

Probiotics are easily obtained (I wouldn't give just yogurt bc you need a bigger boost) - go to Whole Foods or some health food store - ask for help, get the kind that is REFRIGERATED - otherwise, they are most likely dead, unless they are processed in a special way (then, are non-cooled and are ~$35). Give about a 1/2 cap per day with a morning meal. Any brand is fine. Whole Foods actually has a little pet vitamin section - and I think they sell digestive enzymes - do you have one near you?

And, just keep in mind - that just bc all tests for giardia were negative - he still could've had giardia, unfortunately.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!