Thread: Cancer in Dogs
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

there are many different types of cancer. i don't remember all the types. I see it on a daily basis. young dogs, old dogs. bone cancer, lung cancer, mast cell tumors, testicular cancer, uterine cancer, cancer in the liver/spleen/bladder.... you name it, i've seen it. some times you just don't know until the end when you can't do anything about it. its sad.

want a reason to spay your intact female? today we took out a 9lb cancerous uterus in an intact female.... poor dog almost died. she came in yesterday and we had to give her two bags of blood because she was so anemic. the tumor was eating up her blood supply. Today we explored her first thing in the morning and found this HUGE tumor in the uterus. This would never had happened if the dog was just spayed when it was younger.... if you are not breeding the dog, i urge you to spay and neuter your pets (this is not directed at the OP or any once, just in general).

cancer patients are very sad. Their owners spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on their beloved pets in surgery and chemo just to get a few more months of happiness with their pets.

we've taken limbs off and organs out. we've taken pieces of the jaw apart, and delt with large tumors on legs that need a skin graft to cover the hole left (so we have to cut another hole in the dog and harvest a piece of skin large enough to cover the hole left by the tumor and then stretch it back together and sew it up....not pretty)

Cancer is extremely common. Most types there is nothing you can do to prevent it, the only ones you have any control over are the ones that deal with the reproductive organs.

signs of bone cancer is sudden swelling of a joint or section of bone, lethargy, limping, not using a limb, lump with an open wound, unexpected broken bone from something that shouldn't have caused the dog to break a bone (pathological fracture).

signs of cancer in the thorax would be heavy breathing, panting, lethargy, fluid in the chest cavity...etc....

signs of abdominal cancer would be swollen stomach, weird abdominal weight gain, round belly that can be hard or fluid like, lethargy, not eating, elimination problems...etc...
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!