yorkiesmiles
Donating YT 4000 Club Member

Default [News] Family Says Kennel Gave Them Wrong Dog

http://www.kptv.com/news/15844252/detail.html

Video also out online

Family Says Kennel Gave Them Wrong Dog

POSTED: 7:06 am PDT April 10, 2008
UPDATED: 8:13 am PDT April 10, 2008

LAKE OSWEGO, Ore. -- A black Labrador wagged its tail at Ken Griggs' Lake Oswego home Wednesday night.

But there's just one problem. The family said the dog, recently picked up at a local kennel, doesn't belong to them.

The Griggs family said the Tail Wag Inn in Dundee gave them the wrong dog when they picked it up after spring break.

"I've got five kids," Griggs said. "She's like the sixth kid and everybody wants the dog back."

Griggs took Callie, his pet of seven years, to the kennel for boarding. When he returned the next day, his family didn't get Callie back.

"You don't think that somebody's going to give you the wrong dog," Griggs said.

At first, Griggs thought the dog belonged to his family -- it looked the same as Callie. But he said the dog wasn't enthusiastic to see the family and its habits and mannerisms were also different.

Griggs called the kennel and returned the dog.

"I was very concerned when that happened," said Allison Best, the kennel owner. "I've been in business 10 years and I've never heard of anything like this happening."

Best said the kennel had eight black labs over spring break and they all played together in the yard every day.

The Griggs are certain the kennel made a mistake. Callie had her dew claws clipped off as a puppy, but the dog returned to them still had its dew claws. X-rays also showed no surgery on the dog's elbow as theirs had.

But Best said she's done all she can.

"I have called all of the female black lab owners that were here," she said. "They're all confident they have their dogs."

The mix-up may have been prevented by the use of a collar, but the kennel does not allow collars because it considers them dangerous. Best said she'll review the rule to see if there's another way to identify pets in their care.

Griggs has spoken with an attorney. He said if no one recognizes the dog at his home, he's not sure where he'll turn next.
yorkiesmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!