View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
YorkieChick1
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Hi! I am a flight attendant for United and you can take your Yorkie in the cabin with you! Each airline has different rules for animal travel, so you need to check with each carrier. For example, I don't think Southwest allows animals in the cabin at all. You also need to make sure that where you are going will allow you to bring a pet. Hawaii has very strict rules and used to not allow any dogs in without a 6 month quarantine. Anyway, at United, they charge $85 a leg for your pup to travel in the cabin with you. You need a USDA certificate of health from your vet if you are traveling across state lines. You will also need a copy of their rabies certificate. The pup must stay in it's carrier under your seat the whole trip unless you have your pup registered as a Therapy animal. Of course, these are the rules but they are not always applied consistently. I have been traveling with my dogs for 15 years and I have different experiences everytime. Sometimes they never even ask for any paperwork and other times they needed more paperwork than is even required! I have had flight attendants that said that they didn't mind if I put my pup on my lap and others that told me not to take the dog out under any circumstances!! My advice if you bring them on the plane is to wrap the bottom of the inside of the carrier with a few wee wee pads. When you put the kennel underneath the seat, wrap a blanket around the kennel, it is usually very cold on the ground. I keep the netted front covered so that my pup cannot see me, because if they can see you they usually cry more. Once you get into the air, the pup usually settles down because of the hum of the engines and the vibration of the plane. I also bring treats, in case I have to resort to bribery!! I hope this helps. Good luck and Bon Voyage!!
YorkieChick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!