View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #10
MyFairLacy
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Most people believe that if the breeder doesn't have a strict spay/neuter policy, they aren't reputable. I wouldn't go that far but if they don't require it, they aren't protecting their lines and it does raise a red flag. I would proceed cautiously but if the breeder seems reputable, I would still buy the pup.
I'm definitely one of those people...reputable breeders sell their pets on a spay/neuter contract. Those they sell to show/breeding homes are on a very strict contract and only to someone they really trust. It's about protecting the lines and keeping inexperienced and irresponsible people from breeding their pets. It's for the best interest of the puppy and breed in general.

i think it would be great if all pet puppies were spayed/neutered before they left the breeders home but a lot of people just aren't comfortable with early spay/neuter yet which is fine...personal opinions. A breeder offering some sort of refund or paying for the procedure might be more incentive for the buyer to actually get it done, but I don't at all think a breeder should have to pay for the procedure. Once the pet is sold, the new owner is responsible for the vet bills (unless there is a genetic defect covered by the health guarantee). The owner buys the dog knowing it needs to be spayed/neutered and should anticipate that cost coming up and be prepared for it...if they can't afford to spay/neuter the puppy, they don't need to buy it.
MyFairLacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!