View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #27
Rudys Mom
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsygal37 View Post
Can I be nosy and ask why you are against wood floors? Let me take it one step further and say that we wanted wood floors in certain areas of our home, but honestly it was too expensive for us. If expense is the issue I'd like to suggest over carpeting to go with wood laminate. It is about the same price for what you would pay for the frizza carpet. I have it in my dining room and it looks beautiful. The key is to get it done by someone that really knows how to install laminate and to choose a good color. We got the color Butterscotch and are thrilled.

The thing with the laminates is that it will not absorb the pee or poop and thus leaves not stain or smell once it's cleaned up. Cleaning is easy with just a little soap and water. Also, their nails will not scratch. It's really tough. Wood does add more value to your home, but with dogs it scratches, and it stains and it's way more expensive as compared to laminate.

Lastly, if you do go with carpet may I suggest the padding we got. I went with a barrier padding. It's new. What it does is if your dog has an accident it will not soak through. It lays ontop of the padding because the padding has a coating on it. It's made especially for pets. This will help a lot in eliminating the padding soaking and smelling. I'm not sure how your Yorks are but mine are pretty good but do have accidents. With a regular rug, and regular padding you'll find you'll be changing it a lot because when they pee it's hard to get it all up without it going through all the way to the padding. The odor remains and the dog will keep peeing. Over time it smells and sometimes you don't notice the smell until damp weather or winter when the air is off and windows are shut. I'm a very clean person but no matter how clean you are over time it just don't work anymore.

Good luck.
Elaine

I was under the impression that we couldn't put any kind of wood/pergo/laminate flooring down because our house is built on a cement slab and we don't have a basement. Also, my husband likes carpet better. He says the other stuff I mentioned is cold on his feet in the winter.
Rudys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!