View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
chloeandj
Tinkerbell, My Little Flutterpup
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyj View Post
I am very fond of guinea pigs and we have had several over the years. They get used to being handled and petted just like other pets and it just takes time and some effort. Just be gentle and she will be fine. You can trim her nails, but if you don't want to, I'm sure your vet would be happy to do it. It's just like trimming puppy nails. You can get all kinds of information about caring for a guinea pig from books, on the internet, or from your vet. There are three vets in my vet's office and one of them specializes in small pets other than dogs and cats. We had a long haired piggy and she had to be bathed and groomed just like a puppy. I got a kids' plastic swimming pool for the guinea pigs to play in to protect my carpet. They can't be potty trained. I also put a plastic tablecloth on the floor and used an x-pen to make a place for them to be loose and run around. My granddaughter could sit in the pool or x-pen enclosure and play with them. They are very sweet little pets and I would love to have another one (or two or three).
Thank you! Great idea about the pool. I had planned to use an x pen today and give her some time to run about. I don't think she has been out of her cage much at all in several months. The reason i'm scared to cut her nails myself is they are actually so long they have curled to the side and grown out that way too and they are black so it's just very hard to see where to cut. I may trim a little at a time if she lets me. She's very jumpy and so am I so we are a bad combination together. LOL I can't even imagine bathing her but I bet she could really use one, i'm sure she's never had one. I was suprised to see that they shed.
chloeandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!