View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #13
RawfedYorkieLuv
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Vomiting on RAW-Why????

Hi Rebecca,
I might be of some assistance to you. I'm a prey model feeder because I, like my fellow prey modelers, do not believe canines need veggies, fruit or supplements as everything a dog needs is in meat/bone/offal. of course, that issue is highly debated even amongst the inner circle...... BUT, I used to feed a commercial BARF diet, different brands (NV, Primal to name a few). While my dogs never had the same problems you described, I did hear about those problems with a couple of other people that started on premade RAW and got discouraged really fast when the vomiting issues happened. When a dog eats the prey model, the tearing, ripping and chewing prepares the dog's stomach for the food that's about to come. The saliva has natural occurring enzymes that prepare the stomach. When you feed a premade raw meal, all is relatively gulped down, just like a kibble fed dog and then that food sits in the dog's stomach like a heavy brick. The dog's system didn't get a chance to prepare and now has to work overtime to process the food. Give the following a try, just to see if this could in fact be the problem with your dog as there are some dogs that are sensitive to this; take a whole chicken breast (with bone!!!!!), remove the skin (some dogs cannot tolerate the fatty skin, one of mine can't either) give it a little whack with a meat tenderizer to help a newcomer to prey model along and give it to your baby. If she's really small then cutting the breast in half may work better. I eliminate the mess by putting my dogs in an xpen, lined with an old sheet.
Freeze dried is not exactly like raw. The freeze drying process removes all of the water thus really altering the composition of the protein and how it's digested, but it's a most certainly better alternative than cooked protein sources! Hope this helps!
</IMG>
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!