View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

I agree with Crystal, strongly, and here's why:

Angel Eyes contains Tylosin (Tylan), which is an antibiotic loosely related to erythromycin - so basically, you'd be giving your dog a daily, chronic dose of an antibiotic. Know what that leads to (in dogs as well as humans) - antibiotic resistance. Yep. Scary stuff, potentially. So, let's say down the line, your dog developed colitis and needed Tylosin and/or erythro for treatment - might not work.

Not only that, but your dog's body could create bacterial resistance related to the Tylosin. Meaning, a bacterial strain is now resistant to Tylosin and erythro and can never be treated with it should an infection occur (for whatever reason), thus, a different medication must be used. Which, essentially, is fine - but one can see how when this happens again and again, theoretically - this is HOW mega-viruses occur - this is how MRSA happens (remember that in the news?).

Probably WAY more than you ever wanted to know but, for those reasons, that's why I wouldn't give my dog a daily antibiotic unless it was medically necessary. Whew!

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!