View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterlvr View Post
How dare you - Bjh - put the lives of dogs in danger with your false statements. Heartworms DO NOT die on their own. When you find out your dog has HW's it needs to be treated as soon as possible. If not, your pet WILL die. There are cases of dogs dying DURING treatment. Not because of the treatment. If you do not catch the heartworms in an early stage and they have had it for awhile, the dogs chances of survival is greatly diminished. Get your facts straight before you go preaching to people who might take your advice. (God forbid) Southeast Texas is the worst place to not give HW Prevenitive. Talk to your vet before listening to BJH.......
Sorry, Donna, I was asked my opinion on heartworm medication and I gave my opinion based on research that I have found. This is part of what I found:

Quote:
Dr Martin Goldstein, in his book, "The Nature Of Animal Healing" pp, 220, 221, 223, says: "Granted, heartworm is a serious condition...

A few caveats are in order, however. Only a small percentage of dogs who get heartworm die of it, especially if they're routinely tested twice yearly for early detection. Even in untreated dogs, after a period of uncomfortable symptoms, the adult worms die... The chances of a microfilaria-infected mosquito biting your dog the first time are slim. Of it happening to the same dog twice? Very slim...Early in my career, I saw and treated hundreds of cases of heartworm disease, most with routine medication, yet witnessed only three deaths (the last was in 1979). By comparison, we're seeing, cancer kill dogs on a daily basis. To my mind, the likelihood that toxicity from heartworm pills is contributing to the tremendous amount of immune suppression now occurring, especially in cases of liver disease and cancer, is far greater and more immediate than the threat of the disease they're meant to prevent...
I would not condemn anyone for using heartworm medicine if that is what they choose to do. Just like if someone want to give their dog the lepto shot, that is a personal decision we all have to make. I just advise people what I do and why I do it. I advise people to do research and don't just do something they feel uncomfortable with just because someone told them that is what they should do. Doctors and vets are not always right. Look at all the new drugs that come out and doctors start prescribing them for patients and the next thing you know we find out that that 'new' drug is causing all kinds of different health problems. There are safe alternatives for heartworm prevention and people should know about them. Please read and educate yourself:
http://quikonnex.com/channel/item/13049
http://www.nbc5i.com/family/3345322/detail.html
http://www.theherbsplace.com/Heartwo...on_sp_104.html
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!