View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 05:16 AM   #3
urbnalbino
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Taking a new Yorkie puppy in to your home is a huge adjustment for everyone. It requires a lifestyle change as well, I believe. Yorkies are huge balls of energy, and the best way to deal with that energy, I have come to learn, is obedience. He needs to learn that chewing on everything in sight is not acceptable -- if he's chewing on an electrical cord, take it away, and immediately replace it with something he can chew on, and then praise him profusely and give lots of love and treats.

As for the barking - both of mine did this for a while until they got used to it. Callie, who I just a week ago, would bark and bark, so I put a towel over her cage so she couldn't see out. I believe this calmed her down, and the instant I did that, she only barked rarely. Now she doesn't even need the towel and knows that I'm letting her out to potty as soon as I get up in the morning. It also helps that she has a mate in her cage to keep her company as well.

When Glory was a puppy, she was terrible about picking up random things and taking off with them, and chewing toilet paper. So when I enrolled in an obedience program, she other things to focus on, and soon after that ended she was a perfect angel. I think that is your solution. Plus, taking your dog to an obedience class is a wonderful way to bond with your new puppy. If you take them to the puppy class, they will give you tips and tricks on how to effectively deal with these issues you are having.

Good luck with Baxter and don't give up hope!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!