View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
tammyphan780
Yorkie Talker

Star Help! My yorkie is shaking frequently and acting very strange :(

Hi all,

So i've had my baby Cookie for about 4 months now. I started to notice that about 3 weeks ago... she had started to make this choking/coughing noise quite often. She does it when she runs (sounds like she's out of breath), during the day even when she's just doing nothing, and even at night while she's sleeping. It has gotten worst at night to the point where she has to wake up and walk out of her bed and do the choking/coughing sound. It seems like she wants to puke because she had to get out of her bed. After a week I was very worried so I took her to the animal emergency hospital. They took one fast look at her and reassured me that it was "reversed sneezing" and that puppies do this sometimes where they sneeze backwards.
It's been a month now and she does it more often than before. I'm afraid she might have allergies or maybe something in her throat or some sort of cold. Has this happened to anyone before? She does it so frequently that it sounds like she might be short of breath.

Also... yesterday she had woke up and was shaking tremendously. It's not the kind of shaking due to coldness or being scared. I waited for her to calm down, and then she started shaking her head left and right... left and right... left and right... over and over again for about 10 minutes. This worried me alot because this was VERY abnormal. She peed on the carpet and then sat on it for 5 mins (never had this happen) and I tried feeding her a treat to calm her down and she wouldn't eat the treat (also never happened before). She was constantly in the "lay down" position on the floor and woudn't get up and wouldn't follow me upstairs (which she always does). I was SO worried that i immediately went to the emergency hospital AGAIN.

Against all odds... she stops shaking on the way to the emergency hospital. I decided to take her there anyways to get some tests done to find out if she is really sick... after doing blood tests and check ups and 500 dollars later.... the doctor states that her blood test results are perfectly fine and that he couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. He "suspects" that it may be due to low sugar.

That's it?? I paid 500 dollars to get my puppy looked after and all you can tell me is that you "suspect" that there may be a lack in sugar? He sounds like he doesn't even know for sure. So i take her home... and of course she is doing the coughing/choking noise again.

Luckily the shaking and head bobbing had stopped. Now i'm more concerned about her noises she's making. Has anyone had this with their puppy? or have any advice on what it could possibly be? Maybe it's the food that i'm feeding her or perhaps something she's licked off the floor? I'm not sure but it's worrying me so much because she is only 4 months old and I really hope nothing is serious with her... she's still very playful except for the grunts and choking sounds she makes.. Any suggestions would be awesome.

And sorry for such a long story =P Thanks guys!
Tammy.
tammyphan780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!