View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #15
Izzy Princess
Therapy Dog
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaLi19GyRL View Post
How do you go about doing this?? When I was in the hospital with cancer there was a atherapy dog, but he was so blah and didn't make me happy at all...actually he kinda bummed me out!!! Ha Ha I would love to train Maxx to be a "cool" therapy dog & go back to my hospital to visit!!!
Ahh everyone...Izzy thanks you all for saying such nice things about her.

Mike (AlaskaMike) we did the same thing...we are through Delta Organization and we statrted Izzy out with Puppy I and Puppy II training when we first got her with local training (we didn't go through Petsmart but heard that they do training as well). Then we took a class for Canine Good Citizen which really helped us prepare for Therapy Dog testing. We actually took the CGC test but it's really tough and Izzy only passed 8 out of 10. The two she didn't make was greetintg a neutral doggie since she has to stay in a sit position while the neutral doggie and their owner came up to us and did the handshake and Izzy could not move from her sitting position. Well she failed that because she wanted to kiss the other doggie.

So even though we didn't pass CGC we had our benchmark on where to go from there so for the last few weeks we've been practicing and when we went today it all worked out for us.

So anyone if you are truly interested in becoming a therapy doggie it all starts with training your baby and you can see all the things they need to pass by going to the Delta.org website and seeing all the tests they need to pass. Trust me - they love to train and look forward to it and the little treats they get when they do such a super job. It's all in patience and reward.

If anyone wants more info they can PM me or AlaskaMike and we can certainly try to help you out. It's such a rewarding feelilng I can't even describe.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!