View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
MindieRose
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Default Spoke with a breeder today

Someone local to me, not Diesels breeder, but just wanted to talk to someone with some experience. I want to possibly get into breeding at some point, but I want to really get some experience around a good breeder first. I talked to her for quite a long time, and thought she had a lot of good things to say, talking about mentoring me when I get into it. I played sort of dumb, to sort of test her. I let her explain to me about genetic issues, possible puppy complications like hypoglycemia, limited registrations with her pups and the importance of it, lots of things. Everything seemed to really be going well, then I got some red flags go up.......
1. She said she goes to a vet by me for her Bulldogs that she breeds (never mentioned bulldogs in the conversation)
2. She goes on to tell me that not only does she breed Bulldogs, but at one point she had 40 Champion Cockers, but ONLY has 30 now. She says that they are all champions My thought is she would have to be very busy!
3. I asked about a litter of Yorkies she has now. I wanted to know if their ears were standing. She says "I don't know, I havent looked at them today". Well were they standing yesterday? I was just confused by this.
She said she has a big pole barn that is very clean and well kept and has people hired to take care of her dogs.
This just didnt sit well with me at all. She could talk the talk like anyone here, and was obviously very educated on breeding yorkies and other dogs. But why sooooo many dogs? I just didnt think this was the norm. I should have asked how many adult yorkies she has. I mean, if she has 30 cockers? I dunno, just seems odd to me.
Proud Mommy of Gavin, Ethan, Morgan, Nia, Olivia, and Kiana and baby #7! Also Mommy to furkids: Cleo ,Lola, Lilly Appletini, and Diesel. and Sunny, Ethan's Golden therapy dog in training.
MindieRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!