Thread: Registration
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 06:22 AM   #11
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
I
I know the AKC has stricter requirements for breeders who are have over a certain number of liters a year, also they have requirements of how many liters a mother can have a year.
AKC does not regulate how many times or how often you can bred your dog. What they do is if your dog sires 3 or more litters in one year or 5 lifetime then you are required to purchase a DNA kit and send in your males DNA so it will be on file. The AKC inspector just makes sure your dogs look healthy, that you are keeping your dogs in a clean environment with plenty of space for each dog and they will check your breeding records against what they have on file and they will sometimes take DNA samples of a litter and the sire and dam to make sure the parents are who you say they are. I know breeders that pass AKC inspection but they are keeping their dogs in outside buildings and in an environment that I don't approve of but that is just me.

It is very important for a breeder when you sell a puppy to fill out the puppy registration form and DO NOT just sign the form and let them fill out the rest later. My first few years of breeding that is what I did because I did not know any better. If you don't fill out the buyers name on the form and have them sign it then later if they sell the puppy to someone else before registering the dog in their name then AKC's records will not match yours and you can get in trouble.

Many puppy buyers are just not interested in the papers because they are not interested in breeding and they just want the papers as proof that the dog can be registered and it shows proof of ownership.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!