Thread: Registration
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 PM   #9
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakersDozen View Post
I understand all your reason(s) except this one....and I probably am being dense here, but it isn't the new owner registering the pups that causes the litter to be counted (like for the AKC frequently used sire DNA requirements). It is the breeder's registering of the litter. Do you mean that if buyers want registration, then breeders are more likely to register the litters? Not trying to be picky, I just don't understand what you mean.
I'm pretty dense myself and have many more questions than answers on this topic. I believe the breeder registers the group, and the new owner register the individual pup. Although some breeders do the whole thing which is what I think I would prefer. A breeder could register 4 puppies lets say, but sell many more than that and claim they were AKC eligible because one of his dogs was registered.

I know the AKC has stricter requirements for breeders who are have over a certain number of liters a year, also they have requirements of how many liters a mother can have a year. So some breeder's could bait and switch puppies being sold. They might have one female that's AKC eligible and several who are not, and claim all their puppies came from the AKC mother, but if no one bothers to register who's going to check this out. My question is, "why would a breeder discourage people from registering". I have read about this so many times and I was involved in the purchase of a dog whose breeder claimed it was eligible, but it would cost several hundred dollars so why bother. Why are so many people claiming it is so expensive to register a dog? Many many people on the forum have written this same thing, so there has to be a reason why some breeders are discouraging this. It is my opinion that many people who haven't registered their dogs may be in for a big surprise if the try to register, and their dog isn't AKC eligible after all. I hope a knowledgeable breeder will reply to this thread.

Join today and remove this ad!