View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 05:51 PM   #11
Rizzi
Yorkie Yakker

Hi!
Sounds like you have a good working plan to interview a few local breeders. Any breeder worth your time and money should be willing to give you references of former clients who can verify the quality of their puppies. They should also belong to at least one registry AKC (American Kennel Club) is the oldest and most well known. However; American Pet Registry, Inc or APRI for short is also quite reputable.
I would not look at pups until they are 12 wks and up. This will give you a more accurate idea of what their adult size and weight will be. The breeder can choiose a couple of her babies to show you, but ultimately it will be you who 'knows" who is the best little one to warm your lap! You will just know. As far as having a breeder choose the best sex for you: Breeders usually 'keep back' the biggest females for future breeding, and the smallest males for the same reason.
All dogs, female and male, develope their personalities by six months of age. Whether a female is spayed or not, they are always a bit more independent then the boys. I love them both, but my boys are special little creatures. I have a male - "Toy-Boy" who weighs 2 1/2 lbs, and washes my face every time I pick him up!
Good luck again, and if you need advice on a health issue, etc - just let me know.
Rizzi
Rizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!