View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
Nikeann07
Yorkie Yakker

Animal Smiley 019 Hi again

Thanks for the hug from you and JaJa

I am coping okay about all of this now that I have guideline in Holly's recovery plan.

Answering your question about her food:

She is on z/d prescription food (can and kibble form)...it is high in fiber and no fat. Because of the prednisolone (5mg) she is okay with this diet change...There is no loose stools with her now. He wants her on 1 pill for 5 days...then every other day..until March 31 when he sees her again for a revaluation of her recovery.

She is on Latix for water retention (twice a day) for 5 days. Tomorrow will be the 5th day....Then the Vet wants her off of it. However since she lost the water very quickly and her stools were hard to pass and very dry..He changed the dose to just once a day on day 3.

She gets 2/3 cup of can food divided into 4 meals throughout the day.
She can pick on the kibble (1/4 cup) as a snack.

He said it would take 24 hours to see a change in her stool from eating this new diet. Today she pooped three times and the stool was firm and easy to pass. It is sooooo important (the Vet stressed this over and over) that she
gets nothing but this diet until her weight is up a few ounces and stays around 7 lbs. and gets used to the new food...then he says she may have
something like a small raw carrot to chew on.

He is going at this slowly for he wants her able to handle the disease with just diet alone (this is his goal and direction in caring for her) He wants me to call him before I make any changes in her diet or quits eating.

Today was a good day for Holly. She ate and pooped and played.
I still remember and re-read all of your advice and shared experiences to keep me focus on what's ahead.

Please tell me how JaJa is doing ...it helps me a lot. Things like setbacks and good times etc.

Hugs to you and JaJa
I will keep you posted if you like

Nikeann07
Nikeann07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!