View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louiebug View Post
What is a good brand of wet food? Are they the same as the good brands of kibble? I have been hesitant to do that because I am concerned about his future dental health.
I like Evangers or Canidae.

Some people (including me) believe that the common "kibble is good for their teeth" thing is a myth. There have been some studies on it but they were flawed. The kibble breaks when it hits the tip of the tooth, so it does next to nothing. Dental kibble works but most companies don't make that. Canned food may or may not build up tartar faster but whatever you feed, it is so important to brush.

Ellie ate mostly kibble for a few years and her teeth started falling out, so it didn't do her a bit of good. Now, after she had her teeth cleaned, I brush them everyday and use OraVet. She eats mostly soft food (homecooked) and they stay pretty clean.

In fact, the wet food is a good idea anyway becase their bodies could really use the moisture.

If you'd like to read more about kibble and teeth, you can order Small Animal Clinical Nutrition Fourth Edition by Thatcher, Hand...
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!