View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda99 View Post
I'm not a breeder yet, still looking around and studying and trying to assemble some nice breeding stock. I won't bore you with the reasons why I think so, but I believe this is something I could do very well. I'm not rich but have financial resources to buy what I need to get started and take good care of my dogs. I have a nice big house with a safe yard. Everywhere I keep seeing breeding can't be done for profit. Please explain to me why not. I do understand that a good, responsible breeder will most likely not get rich at it because it is extremely labor intensive and the welfare of the dogs must always come first, but they should be able to make some profit. Some people make it sound like something dirty to make a little money breeding. I'm confused about this and would like to hear from some breeders who do make a profit. Thank you.
Many breeders do make money from breeding their Yorkies but what upsets many is that some jump into breeding Yorkies without any knowledge of the breed or any knowledge of health concerns. It sounds like you are going about it the right way. Now if you are into showing your Yorkies then there would be very little profit because show breeders invest so much in showing costs and breeding stock. A very small show home would most likely always be in the red. Some people get into breeding and find out really fast that it is really not so simple. So many things can go wrong no matter how prepared you might be. You have to be able to take the good with the bad and pray that all goes well. The main point it that you should not start breeding just because you want to make money. If you love the breed and think you can breed responsibly then I see nothing wrong with that. First and foremost I feel a Yorkie should be a beautiful, sound, healthy companion dog and then if all goes well they can also be a show dog.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!