View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
specialklm
Yorkie Yakker

Default Re: Thank you thank you so much

Hi Nikeann,
I have found that many, if not most, vets are such alarmists! One time I took Ja to an emergency hospital because she was not acting responsive after playing rough ball with a friend. the vet said he thought it might be a stroke & I should see a neurologist... well, it turned out she just strained her neck a bit & was better within a day.

I think vets are great and caring but I wish they wouldn't give us the worst case scenarios so often. When Ja's albumin count was so low, the 1st vet said it was immediately life threatening... Holly's vet doesn't have a crystal ball. Do you knw what her albumin count was... is? Ja's was so low but within a month on prednisone it was up to normal and continues to be. While I know that Ja is not "cured" but in a remission, Yorkies are very sensitive yet hardy and bounce back. I believe that a of of love, as with people, is powerful medicine.

Ja's personality has not changed. In fact, lately when we go for walks she wants to run. Holly's illness is new and until the meds kick in I think it's normal that she's lethargic. I was told that during the beginning of giving her prednisone I shouldn't take her out much because she would be more prone to not healing if she gets a cut etc. So, Holly might be telling you she needs to take it easy for awhile. Did Holly lose much weight before the diagnosis? Ja did, but is now at a good weight.

The vet tried to sell me on prescription food (Ja can only eat duck & potato food) but when I compared the ingredients of the prescip. food to what I've been giving her (Natural Balance Duck & Potato canned & dry) I felt the ingredients in Natural Balance were better... Ja constantly wants to eat...pee..eat etc. - it's tough on me but I love her so much that I will do anything for her. btw, a friend told me today about a product called "belly bands" - it's like a fancy diaper... I'm going to look into it.

Have you ever heard of the no-interest (if you follow the rules) credit card : Care Credit ( @ carecredit.com). Some vets accept it, & some do not. Basically, it allows you to spread the payments over 3 months interest free if the balance is paid on time. In the past year, Ja's vet bills have been about $5000-- 2 years before about $6000.

I hope Holly & JaJa ( and us) both come through this speedily& healthfully.
Don't give up on Holly's healing-- she's probably a fighter like Ja.

Thanks for your kind words. I do know what you're going through & it is scary.
best to you and Holly,
Karen & JaJa

I am so sorry for all your long trials in giving JaJa back the quality of life she deserves. I am happy she is still with you. My Vet said Holly will probably not be with me in two years even if she responds to treatment. This puts an ache in my heart you probably understand.

Has this illness changed JaJa's personality at all?
Holly sleeps a lot and sits in the sun. I have stopped taking her for walks
I think she misses it. Should I resume her normal routines?

I am on a fixed income, but, plan on cutting back on other things to see Holly through what sounds like a very expensive ordeal in recovering. I don't have dog insurance to cover some of it.

I am happy to have you to talk to about this...and appreciate you being here to let me know what Holly will be going through.

Hard part so far is she is always sooooo hungry and also pees like a Great Dane. The Vet is going to give me a list of what she can eat and it has to be strictly followed. Holly gets me up at night to go out to pee every 3 hours..yet there is pee puddles on the pee pads.

Give JaJa a hug from me.
She is so lucky to have you.

Nikeann07
specialklm is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!