View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
nvnvgirl
Lovin' to the MAX!!

Default What should I feed malnourished dog?

Hi again....another question about the Yorkie I'm taking care of (until I can locate it's REAL owners, PLEASE GOD, help me find them!!!) ......

He was found wandering around Coachella (desert) and when the people who found him first had him, he must have been REALLY emaciated, b/c I can feel almost every bone in his little body and she told me that he'd put on weight since she'd had him (don't know exaclty how long that was). He's a PHENOMENAL eater, LOL. Poor little guy acts like he's never seen food before!

But this is my question....the person who found him was feeding him Pedigree dry food (small breed). B/c I feed my Max wet AND dry, I decided I'd do the same for him, so I bought some of the same Pedigree dry food and I had a can of Hill's I/D.....I didn't want to change his diet totally all at once, and I don't really know that much about Pedigree (other than I always see their ads and wish it were something better so I could feed it to Max, LOL....) ..but this little guy is SO thin still. Max has to be on a low cal/low fat diet, so he's on W/D wet and dry. Which isn't what this little baby needs.
What I'd like to figure out is....he needs to gain weight, but I don't want to upset his stomach by just giving him something that's high calorie but really rich, which might be too much for his little system to deal with.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do (feed) and how to do (transition) it? The little guy is a VERY good eater...there's only a couple of things he hasn't taken, one being fresh carrots, fresh cutup apples , or the little treats I got the other day that are supposedly "Peanut Butter" flavored. he wont' have anything to do with them (Max loves them), but he'll eat peanut butter off my finger .

I just want to get him in good shape and good condition. He's just such a sweet and good dog, and if I can ever find his owners, I want them to know that someone cared about him as much (or almost at least) as they did. As I type this, he is lying at my feet, keeping them warm. It's going to be hard to give him up, LOL......
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!