View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
specialklm
Yorkie Yakker

Default Re:Intestinal Lymphangiectasia: A Protein-Losing Enteropathy (PLE)

Hi,
Sorry to hear Holly is ill - hope she is doing better.
It's been 10 months and JaJa is in remission and seems to be fine.
Every month, then every 3 months she has had to have an abdominal ultrasound & blood work. Her 2x/day prednisone has recently been reduced to 1/4 pill prednisone every other day. She is no longer on oral flagyl.
That said, I am not happy that she will be on prednisone for at least another 4-6 months: her appetite is enormous and she urinates like a Great Dane..... Long term prednisone can cause alot of other issues, including UTI but I do think it's "saved her life".
btw, the only definitive diagnosis of Intestinal Lymphangiectasia is an endoscopy with biopsy. I didn't want to put JaJa through that procedure since the vet said the treatment (prednisone, ultrasounds) would be the same. But, her insurance, VPI, didn't pay a penny because I didn't consent to the endoscopy.
A couple of weeks ago she had difficulty urinating & I found blood in the urine. Took her the next morning to the vet and a urinary tract infection (UTI) was diagnosed and was instructed to give her 3/4 pill Clavamox (antibiotic) 2x/day for 1 week. I try to keep Ja off antibiotics because it's cause major digestive problems i the past but her not being able to urinate, & the bllod, were frightening.
Wll, 2 days after she finished the antibiotic she had the urninating urgency again but couldn't pee. I phone he vet who said she wasn't on a strong enough dose for long enough. So she's almost finished with 1 full pill 2x/day for 2 weeks. I'm supplementing that with CranActin cranberry tablets and FortiFlora probiotic powder. I plan on having her get another urinalyisis a week after she finishes the antibiotics.

10 months ago I almost lost my beloved Ja because her albumin count was so low. I never expected her to be on prednisone for so long but it probably saved her...
If you have any info. abut this disease or any other questions please be in touch.
Hope you & Holly are doing well,
Karen
specialklm is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!